School counselors work with all students, school staff, families, and members of the community as an integral part of the education program. School counseling programs promote school success through a focus on academic achievement, prevention and intervention activities, advocacy, social/emotional growth, and career development.
Deidre Crockett - 7th Grade
Kasey Holder - 8th Grade
Important Testing Dates:
- STAAR Math: April 7, 2020
- STAAR Reading: April 8, 2020
- STAAR Social Studies: May 7, 2020
- STAAR Science: May 7, 2020
- EOC Algebra I: May 5-8, 2020
- STAAR Writing: April 7, 2020
- STAAR Math: May 12, 2020
- STAAR Reading: May 13, 2020
- 8th Grade Student Presentation
- 2015 Freshman Orientation - Advanced Academics
- 2015-2016 8th Grade Parent Night Presentation
- CollegeBoard - Recommended for students and parents seeking information about college and career
- ACT - Recommended for students and parents seeking information about the ACT test
There are hundreds of resources on the Internet that middle school parents could find helpful. Here are a few that we recommend.
- www.girlshealth.gov - A very girl- and parent-friendly website from the U.S. Department of Health that covers many topics from drugs and bullying to illness and nutrition. A good starting point for a parent-daughter chat on difficult topics.
- www.parentingcenter.org - A center that provides family members with tool, resources and services to build a successful family.
- www.how-to-study.com - A study skills resource site
- Khan Academy - Thousands of videos that provide a full course on instruction in a variety of topics, from social studies to statistics.
- Educational Resources for Students - Share these resources for all subjects with your students. They are excellent tools for supporting students who are struggling and they allow all students to delve deeper into content that sparks their curiosity.
Ten Sources For Free Textbooks On Line
- Education Technology - for Diverse Learners Here is a collection of research on the needs of diverse learners: students with special needs, English language learners, and students with unique interests and backgrounds. Resources and free courses for educators wishing to support diverse learners are also shared.
- Career Exploration
- Bullying - http://www.bullying.org
- Depression/Suicide prevention
- Alcohol/Drug use
- ADHD - http://www.chadd.org
- Study Skills
- Eating Disorders in Teens
- How to deal with Mean Girl situations in Teens
- Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls by Mary Pipher
- Real Boys: Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths of Boyhood by William S. Pollack
- How to Handle Bullies, Teasers and other Meanies by Kate Cohen
- Positive Discipline for Teenagers by Jane Nelson Lynn Lott
- Queen Bees and Wannabees by Rosalind Wiseman
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey
- Life Strategies for Teens by Jay McGraw
- Organizing from the Inside Out for Teens by Julie Morgensten
- Ending the Homework Hassle by John Rosemond
- Survival Guide for Kids with Learning Disabilities by Gary Fisher